Saturday, April 24, 2010

Welome Barbara Provis

Please welcome Barbara Provis of the UK. Her email address is b.provis@ntlworld.com and she welcomes your email.

Barbara says:

"Let me intoduce myself (cut & paste from another site) - my name is Barbara Provis aged 67 years - retired nurse, live in Surrey in the south of England. I am married, have one son and two grandaughters. I have had Adhesive Arachnoiditis since 1978 - so 32 years. Symptoms have gradually increased over the years. I wasn't given any information to begin with so had no expectations one way or another; when I was diagnosed in 1990 I was told that I would probably be in a wheelchair in 10 years time.

Pleased to report that the only time I need a wheelchair is at airports when doing transatlantic flights.

I also have two non malignant tumors in my spine at C12 and S1; collapsed C11 vertebra and osteo-arthritis of spine, hips, feet and hands.

I do use a walking stick/cane or elbow crutch now.

Like most people with AA. I have followed the usual route; several epidurals of Depomedrone, myelogram, laminectomy, spinal fusion, plus hundreds of sessions of traction, physiotherapy, Pain Clinics, plaster jacket, first 6 facet joint injections with piriformous injections in 1997; 2001 had more facet joint & piriformouse injections, last session in November 2004 I had 3 Injections - Bilateral Sacro-iliac Joint injection with steroid (Depomedrone) & local anaesthetic. One injection of Botox to right Piriformous Muscle, followed a week later with a steroid (Depomedrone) to right ileo facet joint with no benefit whatsoever.

The first two facet joint injections were quite good with considerable pain relief and I was very grateful for the reduction of pain, however the last session in 2004 made the pain level go through the roof and has never really calmed down. I have since wized up about Depomedrone & refuse every time it is suggested now.

At present I take Tramadol, Paracetamol, Amitriptyline, Phenytoin, Nitrazepam, Lidocaine Patches & since my osteo arthritic hip became acute in September, Butrans Patches.

Acupuncture, which I have been very lucky to receive for the last 11 years, gives a little relief but the clinic has closed down - I'm very disappointed.

Now 8 weeks into recovering from a hip replacement; down to one crutch now and recommenced driving the car again!

I have discontinued the Butrans Patches and going through withdrawal symptoms, especially at night.

I like to keep as busy as possible during the day and am very involved with the local community - it's my way of distraction therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment